Syn_Promo - Day
Friday, May 7, 2004
9:11PM - Killing the Buddha
To give you a taste of it, here's some recent articles from the feed:
- Our Lady of Minor Hostilities -- A new icon emerges from Iraq.
- John Kerry vs. Martin Luther -- The Catholic Kerry preaches that it is Good Works, not Faith alone that justifies.
- Hermaphrodite Terrorist Angel -- In which we learn to speak in tongues. An excerpt from Killing the Buddha: A Heretic's Bible.
- When We Were Ambiguous -- The almost-breaking point of Will Oldham.
- Whose Passion? -- How Mel Gibson turned the blood of Christ into a marketing plan.
- Pushing Monks -- Lost at sea on a flotilla of enlightenment.
- Queer Eye for the Straight God -- It's 'Makeover Your Deity Day'!
- Who Wants to Live Forever? -- Another year dies. Time to ponder immortality and its discontents.
And here's their own explanation of the site's purpose:
Killing the Buddha is a religion magazine for people made anxious by churches, people embarrassed to be caught in the "spirituality" section of a bookstore, people both hostile and drawn to talk of God. It is for people who somehow want to be religious, who want to know what it means to know the divine, but for good reasons are not and do not. If the religious have come to own religious discourse it is because they alone have had places where religious language could be spoken and understood. Now there is a forum for the supposedly non-religious to think and talk about what religion is, is not and might be. Killing the Buddha is it.
The idea of "killing the Buddha" comes from a famous Zen line,...
|← Previous day||(Calendar)||Next day →|